By signing in or creating an account, you agree with Associated Broadcasting Company's Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
New Delhi: Major security lapses were witnessed at Bengaluru Central Jail, as two notorious criminals were seen using mobile phones there. The video of the incident went viral and led Karnataka Home Minister G Parameshwara to issue warnings to the jail officials.
Of the 2 inmates found using mobile phones and also watching television, one is an ISIS recruiter while the other is a serial rapist-killer.
Talking about the incident Home Minister Parameshwara said that he "would not tolerate this nonsense." He sought a report on the issue from the Additional Director General of Police (ADGP) B Dayananda.
The Karnataka Home Minister was quoted as saying, "I will not tolerate this nonsense. Enough is enough. This kind of incident shouldn't happen. It is said that there are fewer staff. But at least the existing staff should do proper work. That is not an excuse. If they are getting TV and mobile inside, then what is the jail for? We have approved CCTVs and jammers. It has been implemented in a few places."
Dayananda took over as the head of prisons on July 31, after the retirement of Director General of Police (Prisons) Malini Krishnamoorthy. He had earlier faced suspension as Commissioner following the stampede outside M Chinaswamy Stadium in Bengaluru, where Royal Challengers Bengaluru were celebrating their IPL victory. The stampede killed 14 people.
Parameshwara said that he had spoken to Dayananda and told him that such kind of incidents are happening repeatedly. The officer was reportedly told by the Minister to take suitable action against whoever was responsible for this incident (use of mobiles and TV to inmates).
In a video, 2 inmates, identified as Zuhaib Hameed Shakeel Manna and Umesh Reddy were seen scrolling phones. While Manna is an alleged ISIS recruiter, Reddy is accused 18 rape and murder cases. Manna was seen scrolling through a mobile phone inside the prison and a radio and TV could also be heard running in the background. The other inmate, Reddy had at least two Android phones and a keypad mobile, which he was seen using.
Manna is accused of raising funds along with other conspirators and radicalised Muslim youth and illegally sending them to Syria via Turkey to join ISIS. Reddy meanwhile is serving a 30 year sentence.
Apart from these 2, another inmate, identified as Tarun Raju was seen using a mobile, while cooking food in the jail's kitchen. He was arrested in the Ranya Rao gold smuggling case, while trying to flee to Geneva. He was identified as the mastermind of the gold smuggling racket.
Chief Minister Siddaramaiah assured strict action in the matter and the Prisons Department has also launched an enquiry in the matter.